Jerome McCormack & Sons took on the village shop in Seend in June 2019, and named it Post and Provisions. Previously a head teacher, Jerome was keen to bring local products back to the beautiful Wiltshire village of Seend.
Seend is a historic village on the edge of the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and we’re delighted to be part of a community that has existed for over 400 years. Built in the 18th century, Post and Provisions has its place at the heart of Seend, lying on the ridge of greensand which rises up out of the heavy marshy lands to north and south.
Soon after the Norman Conquest there was a village here, with a church, forming part of the royal hunting forest of Melksham. In AD 1200, the King gave the living to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury Cathedral, who still have the duty of appointing the vicar, although the tithes which used to swell the cathedral revenues have long been abolished.
In the 15th and 16th centuries, Seend shared in the prosperity generated by the Wiltshire wool industry, and when John Aubrey, the writer and antiquary, visited Seend in the 1660s, he found mineral springs here, and did his best to get Seend developed as a Spa. In the 18th century, when the wool trade was languishing, Seend was given a fresh lease of life by the accident that it lay on the Turnpike road which was built in 1750 to link Devizes with Trowbridge, and at that time was one of the main roads from London to Bath. Thus trade and coach-transport flowed through Seend Street until the coming of the railway in the mid- nineteenth century. This was also the time at which the land became increasingly held by big landowners and the old open-field subsistence farming disappeared. The landed gentry liked the sandy ridge, because of the good air and open views, and built a number of fine houses, which still give the Street its special character.
We hope you enjoy consuming the products of local life, as much as other residents and visitors to the ridge line in the past will surely have done too.